Thursday, June 2, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

I was in Vegas visiting my family for the Memorial Day weekend. And as I had said in my Memorial Day blog last year, (scroll way down if you want to read it...but not required) My Dad was a proud American and a WWII Veteran who was laid to rest at the Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Boulder City Nevada. This place is vast and stretches out almost as far as you can see. My sister (Denise) and I decided to go there on Sunday to pay our respects to our father. As we turned into the grounds and drove slowly down the winding road to the right spot, my eyes widened, I exhaled slowly and my mouth was wide open. We were both awe struck. Every grave site was planted with an American flag at the top of the headstone. It was a breezy day and everywhere you looked was a sea of Red White and Blue fluttering in the wind. It was an Awesome sight that was both inspiring and moving. On my way there, I hadn't planned to write about this, but I was glad I had my camera and I just can't help but to put this down in hopes that anyone who reads this will be half as moved as I was. The photos don't really do it justice, but here's hoping you get the impression that I did. This one is for you Dad.



Memorial Day is a Great American Holiday that we spend with friends, family and loved ones. We have BBQs and outings and enjoy the time off. But we need to remember, the day was set aside for those who served our country and are no longer with us. For those who paid the ultimate price and those who lived to tell their stories and then passed on. Remember, Freedom is never free. And the price that is paid is never cheap.

Now, to lighten things up...The next day I went to the Pinball Hall of Fame on Tropicana Blvd., played for a couple of hours on my favorite machines and had a Great time!

You can see all my blogs at: lefthandblogger.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't like what I write...too bad!