Tuesday, May 11, 2010

PLAYDABLUZ or Harmonica Meltdown

I blow a little harp (harmonica) and have been playing those little brass reed instruments for a few years now. I'm not great, but not bad either. Anyway, I play with a little 'happy hour' group , from 6pm to 9pm on Wednesdays in Little Tokyo, downtown LA. And if we have a good crowd, that wants to hear more, we'll play another half hour so as not to break our groove. The bar's name is:The FarBar on 1st St. and our band name is Jambo-Ningus. Tom, our leader, picked the name from a 1960's 'surfer term' that means, cool or far out... "like dude, that was jambo-ningus!" We are a bunch of city workers who by happenstance got together to make some music and have some fun. Tom plays guitar and sings. Kevin just sings, but really, really well and he and Tom do some harmonies. Rob is the bass player and he is outstanding. He adds the bottom and he does some very cool bass rifs and sings a couple of tunes as well. I do a little back-up vocals, but mostly blow my harps. Not on every song though. Only on about two thirds of the songs we play. Mostly picking my spots and augmenting whats being laid down, but I do a few lead pieces here and there and get to shine a bit up front. We don't get paid, except the bar gives us dinner and brews on our break, so its cool. I have a blast playin' with these guys too. We play cover tunes from Cash to Eagles, Allman Bros. to country. I love playing the harp. Its a different type of instrument in so far as you need a different harp for every key the music is played in. So, I have a Bunch of 'em. Every Tuesdays night, I'm taking some of them apart in order to re-adjust the reeds after blowing them flat from playing too hard. And after so many adjustments, they just need to be replaced. Though blues isn't all we play, I'm a Bluesman. Always have been. Always will be. So if you are ever in Little Tokyo on a Wednesday night, stop into the FarBar, have a cocktail, and some chicken wings or sushi and enjoy the music. Tips accepted :o)

6 comments:

  1. Hey man, I saw those jambo ningus dudes at the far bar in little tokyo. They were way too loud and didn't even start and stop their songs at the same time. I don't think they actually rehearse, just kind of a jam band. But the bass player was really good. He should sing more songs 'cause the guys who do most of the singing forget the lyrics and sing out of key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. disagree the guys in front singing have great voices and song interpretation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man, I like your harp playing Leo! Make those singer dudes move over and give you some space on the main stage so you can really blow Daddy! More Leo and less Kings of Leon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey man, I saw those Jambo Ningus dudes again and they must have rehearsed or something cause they sounded better. But they made Leo stand in the back behind everybody. I think he needs to stand right in front and blow that harp just like Little Walter, man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey man, I heard they are trying to shut down my jambo ningus dudes cause they play too loud at the Far Bar. That's BS. I say turn it up and more harp, Leo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey man. Now I hear those Jambo Ningus dudes have changed their name to The Sundowners or some such nonsense. I dig the original name, dude! And isn't Sundowners some kind of dementia? Sounds like those singer dudes are at it again. More Leo!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't like what I write...too bad!